High Protein Low Carbohydrate Diet
You will need to buy from a newsagent or bookstore Calorie and Fat Counter written by Alan Borushek. Aim for about the following when planning your daily foods.
PROTEIN :- 60 GRAMS PER DAY.
CARBOHYDRATE :- up to 60 GRAMS PER DAY.(try not to go over this)
RULES :- No – rice, pasta, bread, cereals, bananas, sugar, potato or corn.
WHAT ARE PROTEIN FOODS ?
Meat, fish, chicken, tuna, oysters, eggs, salmon, sardines, dairy, yoghurt, cheese, pate, ricotta, cream cheese, nuts, tofu, soy, seeds, lentils, legumes.
The human body maintains itself with the amino acids from protein; therefore, it is important to consume adequate amounts on a daily basis. Unfortunately as with so many people fighting the “battle of the bulge” and losing weight through calorie restriction a significant portion of the pounds shed are from lean body mass, which is primarily protein. In order to support your overall health during weight loss, the health of your organs, and metabolic processes, you must consume adequate amounts of protein.
Proteins are made up of over 20 different amino acids, all of which are important to metabolism. Eight of these have been classified essential, meaning that they cannot be made in the body and must be supplied in the diet. Ten other amino acids can be produced within the body and are important, but not classified as essential. The remaining amino acids are conditionally essential, meaning that under certain conditions, metabolic performance is better if they are provided by the diet. Protein is what provides stability of blood sugar, provides a leveling of energy in the body, better endurance and stamina and has a stabilizing effect on blood sugar levels.
WHAT ARE CARBOHYDRATE FOODS?
RICE, PASTA, BREADS, CEREALS, FRUITS, VEGETABLES, SUGAR, LOLLIES, CHOCOLATE, SOFTDRINK.
Carbohydrates, as opposed to proteins and the right fats, are not essential in the human diet. They are useful as a fuel source, but must be carefully matched to your type of metabolism and activity level. More importantly, fiber is classified as a carbohydrate, but is not utilized as fuel. Fiber is necessary for the digestive tract and is important in many ways, but cannot be digested or used for energy.
This high protein and low carbohydrate regime allows the body to rebalance. In order to reduce the over production of insulin we must reduce the swings of blood glucose which means reducing the consumption of carbohydrate. This means increasing the amount of protein consumed. The biggest problem we face is how to properly balance this eating regime to feel satisfied and include enough fibre without increasing saturated fats or large amounts of cholesterol.
It is amazing at how quickly the benefits of the program show physically and mentally, blood sugars stabilize and energy is available to the brain and muscle cells even after only a few days on the program. Some of the benefits are……
- Energy improvement
- Improvement in daily endurance and stamina
- Weight loss and fat loss
- Improvement of brain function, mental clarity, fogginess, memory recall.
- Body tone
- Reduction in sugar cravings
- Lowering blood pressure
- Lowering cholesterol.
- Significant reduction of inflammation in the body
- Omelette – 2 eggs, ½ tomato, 2 mushrooms, grated cheese, onion.
- Strawberries and ½ a tub of diet yoghurt, plus one handful of almonds.
- Fried egg, ½ tomato, 2 mushrooms, 2 spears of asparagus.
- 2 boiled eggs, 8 strawberries, handful of almonds.
- Milk shake – with egg, strawberries and vanilla essence or protein powder.
- Zucchini Slice omit flour in the recipe
- 2 Cruskits/ corn thins or low carbohydrate crisp bread with
- diet jam,
- peanut butter,
- almond paste,
- tomato and ham,
- avocado or cheese
- cottage cheese and mixed herbs
- ricotta cheese and strawberries
- Meat and Salad.
- Choose a protein ie Slices of ham or silverside, roast meat, cold chicken Tin of tuna, salmon, or sardines Chicken satay/ chicken breast meat/ cold chicken sausage Boiled eggs
- Choose a few salad vegetables ie Tomato, lettuce, radishes, alfalfa, avocado, mushrooms, carrot, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, cucumber, beetroot, capsicum, celery, gerkins and onion.
- Clear soups ie Chicken and Vegetable, Beef and Vegetable.
- Zucchini Slice (everyone has a recipe for something like this) plus salad.
- Meat and vegetables.
- Choose a protein ie steak, chicken, satays, rissoles, lean sausages, roast meat.
- Choose a few vegetables ie, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, squash, snowpeas.
- Meat dish ie Beef Stroganoff, lemon chicken – served with stirfried vegetables.
- Clear soups.
EATING OUT/ TAKEAWAYS.
- Charcoal chicken and salad.
- Stone grills.
- Steak and vegetables.
- Grilled fish and salad.
- Yiros on a plate (no pita bread).
- BBQ meat on a plate and toss salad and coleslaw.
- Mixed nuts (no cashews)
- StrawberriesYoghurt (diet)
- Celery and peanut butter
- Celery and pate
- Cheese and crackers
- Cruskits and diet jam, peanut better, cheese, pate, ricotta cheese etc.